Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Autumn Soup

I love fall days! The air is getting crisp and I feel the intense need to eat soup with homeade bread. After going to the grocery store, I saw those premade tortellini (spelled wrong?) packages. I threw it in my cart and decided to make something with it. When I got home, inspiration hit and I made the most satisfying soup ever! It tastes fantastic when you top it with fresh parsley and shredded cheese. If your grocery store has the pre-cut butternut squash, buy it. I think the convenience is well worth the money.
-Christine

1 package of tortellini (the spinach kind tastes great)
3 cups of chicken broth
2 cups of diced and peeled butternut squash
1 pound of italian seasoned sausage (turkey sausage works well too)
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 onion, diced
1 Tbl canola oil

*Over medium high heat, saute onion in canola oil. Add the sausage and crumble in the pan with your spatula. Cook until no longer pink. Add the broth, tortellini, squash and tomatoes. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until squash is tender (but not mushy!). Enjoy with fresh parsley and shredded cheese.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails