Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Single Skillet Supper


I got this recipe from my friend Rachelle. I know my sisters will love it so I have to share. The number one reason I LOVE this recipe is because you only get one skillet dirty and...viola...dinner is ready! Who could ask for more?! Since I live in Mexico I have learned to improvise with numerous ingredients so I will give you the original recipe and insert where I have improvised for this dinner.- BarbaraJo

single skillet baked ziti
recipe inspired by ATK

1 quart tomatoes, with juice
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 cups water
12 ounces ziti pasta ( I used whatever pasta I had on hand)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon basil (1/4 cup fresh)
1/2 cup parmesan
1/2 cup cream ( I have used milk before or evaporated milk)
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated

put tomatoes and juice in blender and pulse once, just to break them up. heat oil in a large skillet. add garlic and cook for a minute or so. add in tomatoes and juice and water. add salt, sugar and pepper. add ziti. stir well and reduce heat to medium-ish. cover and stir every few minutes, maintaining heat for a vigorous simmer, for a total cooking time of 12-15 minutes. after pasta is cooked, stir in rosemary, basil, parmesan and cream. top skillet with mozzarella and place in a preheated 475 degree oven for 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly and browned.

*i have successfully made this with less oil (2 tsp.) and less parmesan. if you are using the green can of parmesan cheese only use 1/4 cup, but if you have freshly grated, use 1/2 cup. if you have fresh basil, omit the rosemary. let that basil sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails