Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cheese Buns

Cheese Buns were a staple in our Sunday dinner tradition while living in Calgary. Grandpa Walker would stop by the bakery and have them for every Sunday meal. I loved these rolls and would look forward to eating at Grandma Walker's each week. Years have passed and somehow so did the rolls. I didn't remember the rolls until I was preparing our Sunday dinner rolls and the memory came to me. I immediately contacted my Auntie Flora Bell to see if she could locate the bakery that made these rolls. She did and found out you can buy them frozen or fresh...but only in Canada. Then, just today, Aunt Flora found me a recipe that was BETTER than the cheese buns I so fondly remember. I didn't hesitate to give this recipe a whirl. They turned out fantastic! I even brought the missionary couple that is serving in our ward, whom are also from Canada, a plate of these buns and they gave them a BIG thumbs UP. Tori has requested that these buns become our staple Sunday dinner roll.~BJ

Cheese Buns
recipe by Sara Melanson
(Uncle Ralph Walker Family) 

2 cups warm water
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbs. yeast

Mix together and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Until foamy.

Add:
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1/2 Tbs. salt

Then add...one cup at a time until well mixed:
6-7 cups flour

Dough shouldn't be too sticky.  Cover with a towel and let raise for 1 hour. Divide dough into 3 balls. Roll out each ball, like cinnamon rolls. Spread grated cheddar (sharp) cheese and roll up. Slice one inch thick and let raise on a greased pan for 1 hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  Spread melted butter and garlic salt (to taste) over warm buns.

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails