Sunday, March 13, 2011

Caramelos

Ever since I was born we would spend every summer in Waterton, Alberta. They have a little candy shop that sells these amazing caramel covered marshmallows. I was trying to jazz up some brownies and accidentally stumbled onto this creation. They taste EXACTLY like the Caramelos that I remember. Now I just need to figure out how to dip each individual marshmallow.~BJ

Caramelos
recipe by BJ

1 can sweetened and condensed milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup corn syrup
1 bag of marshmallows

In a heavy sauce pan melt the butter, milk, sugars, and syrup. Boil for several minutes (about 10) until it reaches the "soft ball" stage. Stir constantly.  In a greased casserole dish (9x9) pour the bag of marshmallows evenly then top with the warm (not HOT) caramel. Let cool and cut into squares.

**Try freezing a bag of large marshmallows then dip, using a toothpick, in the caramel. Cool then wrap in wax paper, individually. 

1 comment:

  1. OK, Miss Barbara Jo - I am going to try this. I haven't ever tried FREEZING the marshmallows and then dipping them. That may be the secret technique. You are a genius. I'll let you know how they turn out. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails